Monday, November 5, 2012


 
Before he died, Steve Jobs had been working for five years on the design of a yacht for his personal use. The yacht finally took to the water on Sunday, one year after the death of Apple’s genius. The cost was not disclosed but is estimated at tens of millions of dollars. At the inauguration, the yacht was named “Venus”, the Roman goddess of love, beauty, sex, fertility, prosperity and victory. Irony, or what?

I have nothing against those who become rich as a result of their hard work. Jobs worked, created, invented, inspired and enriched deservedly. Unfortunately, he did not live to enjoy the yacht he designed, among other things. He lost his battle against pancreatic cancer at the age of 56, and his entire fortune was not able to overcome death.

It was because of people like him that Jesus told this story:
The farm of a certain rich man produced a terrific crop. He talked to himself: “What can I do? My barn isn’t big enough for this harvest.” Then he said, “Here’s what I’ll do: I’ll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I’ll gather in all my grain and goods, and I’ll say to myself, “Lucky man! You’ve done well! You’ve got it made and can now retire. Take it easy and have the time of your life!” But God said to him, “Fool! Tonight you die. And your barn full of goods — who gets it?” That’s what happens when you lay up treasure for yourself, and are not rich toward God.”

This story is not a condemnation of the rich, but a warning to anyone who is rich and does not recognize the true wealth. God calls them “fools”. They know the value of a yacht, an airplane, a car, a company, a watch, a jewel, etc., but they do not know the value of life and of eternal life for that matter.

Whatever your bank balance may be, are you ready to die tonight? How is your balance in God’s account?

No comments:

Post a Comment