Friday, April 26, 2013

Self-righteousness


He was not lacking righteousness.
Much less integrity of character.
His faith was enviable; he feared God and avoided evil.

Then what was his problem?
Self-righteousness.

Because his behavior was impeccable, upright, God-fearing and he avoided evil. Apparently, Job was perfect.
God exalted him in front of the devil, when He said: "...there is none like him on earth..." Job 1.8
Nevertheless, there was something excruciating and fundamental about him that subtracted from who he was: he only knew the Lord God from what he heard from others. Job 42.5
That was his big problem – which is also most people’s problem.
They are honest, upright, keep away from sin, have a ruled life, do not hurt anyone, but unfortunately, because of this self-justification, they are not delivered.
Everything leads us to believe that a deceiving spirit convinces them of their "purity and holiness”.
They do not need salvation or a Savior, because their "works" are like those of Job.
Job was so confident in his own righteousness that he goes as far as to say:
"Even today my complaint is bitter; my hand is listless because of my groaning.
Oh, that I knew where I might find Him, that I might come to His seat! I would present my case before Him, and fill my mouth with arguments. I would know the words which He would answer me, and understand what He would say to me. Would He contend with me in His great power? No! But He would take note of me."  Job 23.2-6
Notice that he was so confident in his own "purity and holiness", that he goes as far as to say:
"I would present my case before Him, and fill my mouth with arguments. I would know the words which He would answer me, and understand what He would say to me."
Many people do not have their lives transformed because of this self-righteous spirit: "I don’t do this, or that; I am faithful, I pay my tithe, I give my offerings; I go to church, read the Bible, pray, fast, etc, etc and etc ".
Just like the story Jesus said about the Pharisee:
"The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess." Luke 18.11-12
Meanwhile, "the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ “Luke 18.13
Jesus concluded: "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other..." Luke 18.14
Wouldn’t they be like the five foolish virgins? Matthew 25.1
They were virgins, who were apparently pure, holy, and saved, but they did not have the light from the oil of the Holy Spirit. The door closed, and they were left behind with all of their purity, holiness and virginity.
After a whirlwind of events, the LORD said to Job:
"Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding." Job 38.4
In other words, the Lord answered Job: Who are you to profess all of these arguments before me?
Once he came to himself, Job finally admitted that his righteousness, though perfect in his eyes, was like a filthy rag before the Almighty.
Then he confessed:
"I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You," Job 42.5

No comments:

Post a Comment