Monday, February 4, 2013


This story took place in 1994 when I was sent to the city of Cabo, South Africa to begin evangelistic work there. We had finished renting an old vacant warehouse and after some basic reforms, we opened it as our church. 
Nevertheless, during the first simplest of rainstorms the roof cried on the inside. We called the owner and asked for provisions. It was the end of the day, but he promised to resolve the problem. Being that he owns several businesses and many properties, I thought: “I hope he really sends someone tomorrow and doesn’t give us the run around.”
The next morning at 7 a.m he came in person to the church, which opened at 5:30 a.m (yes, Africans wake up early… our first meeting was at 6 a.m.) I had finished the meeting and spoke with some of the people that asked us for prayer before going to work. I finished speaking to them and then went to greet the owner. “I confess I am surprised. I didn’t expect you so early.”
He answered with assurance and positivity in his voice, a characteristic of successful people: “Pastor, I learned many years ago in business: when you have a problem or something unpleasant to resolve, it’s best to put it on the top of your list and get it out of the way early in the morning. If not, the more you delay or avoid it, the worst your day will be. So I came to eliminate this problem from my day and yours. How can I help you?”
I have never forgotten that man or the lesson he taught me. It has been almost 20 years and I have tested and proven those wise words hundreds of times.
Try it yourself. If there is something that you know you have to do but keep postponing, fearing or rehearsing how you will do it, but you never actually do it, stop torturing yourself. Face the monster already and you will see how the rest of your day will flow all the better.
It’s like ripping off a Band-Aid.

No comments:

Post a Comment