Sunday, April 25, 2010

Making the most of now


The past is over, the future is not here

Lately I’ve been thinking about how easily we waste time and accomplish nothing just because we fail to focus on the here and now.

We’re always so busy, always thinking about something. But here’s the problem: We’re often doing something but thinking about something else. What happens then? We don’t give our best to what we’re doing, and end up doing a bad job or worse – not doing anything at all.

I remember when I was a teenager and got my first job. I had a real hard time waking up in the morning to be at work by 7am. I’d stay in bed as long as I could, and often longer, resenting having to get up. I’d rush to work and invariably get there a few minutes late. When I started work in the morning, I would always be watching the clock, counting the minutes to my coffee break. And when I was in my coffee break, I’d moan that it was too short and soon had to be back at work.

Instead of concentrating on what I was doing at the time, I’d always be thinking about the next thing. Needless to say, that wasn’t a very happy time in my life.

Today I see that this
bad habit plagues many people. Instead of enjoying what they are doing at any given time, they keep looking ahead or behind them, either regretting the past or worrying about the future. They miss the here and now.

When they are at work, they think about their problems at home. When they are at home with their children or partner, they whine to them about how hard they work and feel unappreciated. In other words, at work they don’t do a good job because their mind is elsewhere. And they don’t spend quality time with their family because when they’re home they’re thinking about work.

Sadly, that’s the way many people live, either lamenting the past or worrying about the future – but always forgetting the present.

You can only do one thing well at a time. So learn to live your life without worries and distractions.

If you are at work, so work! Do the best you can. Excel in your job. If it’s time to study, then devour those books! Think about what you’re learning. Give yourself entirely to it. Master it.

If you are at home with your family, so be with your family! Switch off the phone, enjoy each other’s company, talk about your day, appreciate what your wife or husband does for you – and tell them you do.

If you make the most of now, you will always be the best in all you do. And happiness will be only a consequence.

Renato Cardoso

No comments:

Post a Comment